I have never been too interested in gardening until this year. I don't even totally know why the sudden change. For my own sake, I am going to try to pinpoint a few reasons, though.
- With the recent disasters in Japan, my husband and I have looked at each other and said, "Are we really prepared for what could happen?" The obvious answer was no, which is frightening. We both come from families that value the idea of self-reliance. I guess I'm thinking gardening falls into that category.
- Having recently married, this summer will be the first time ever that I have my own yard to take care of. I don't know why its different and you suddenly care more when something is your own, but you do.
- I love to eat. And this summer the grocery store will be 80 miles away. Yes, I just said 80 MILES.
- Flowers are pretty. Need I say more?
- My mom does it. And I really like my mom. She's cool. I want to be like her.
- I have had a severe case of Spring Fever. Its true. Ask my doctor. And he said plants were the only cure.
- I grew up on a ranch and we grew hay, too. Being outside and growing things is in my blood.
What about you? Why do you garden?