Wednesday, November 2, 2011

November

Oh, November!
I love November!
Thanksgiving is everywhere and Christmas is waiting in the wings.

Thanksgiving is one of my favorite holidays. I mean, who could not love all that food??? :) My Thanksgiving favorites include mashed potatoes, coconut cream pie, green beans w/ bacon and french onions, and most of all, honey baked ham. Yum! My mouth is watering....

But more than the food, I love the emphasis on gratitude. I have memories of large family gatherings, where everyone present, even the small child, took a turn expressing what they were most grateful for.
There is something magical about a holiday with such substance. Children learn so much more from this sort of activity than from knocking on doors asking for tricks or treats. (Not that I am anti-Halloween or anything. How could you not love all that chocolate?)

But Thanksgiving just feels so sentimental and perfectly family oriented.

A few goals I have for this November.
  1. Cook a turkey on my own. I have helped my mother a lot. But I have never actually done it single-handedly. There is always a first, right?
  2. Record something that I am grateful for every day. (This list will be on my private blog. Let me know if you need an invite.)
  3. Make a successful pecan pie. I tried this a few years ago, and it was quite runny. I am aiming for perfection this go-round.
  4. Tell those around me, specifically my husband, that I am grateful for them every chance I get.
  5. Take more time in my personal prayers to express gratitude.
I will blog about my turkey and pecan pie experiences here and also try to let you know how my other goals are going. Do you have any goals for November?

2 comments:

  1. Amy! You have a private blog? I was totally under the impression that THIS was your blog. I would love an invite! shantel.peaden@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would love an invite to your blog solidmetalworks@hotmail.com

    ReplyDelete