I love November!
Thanksgiving is everywhere and Christmas is waiting in the wings.
Thanksgiving is one of my favorite holidays. I mean, who could not love all that food??? :) My Thanksgiving favorites include mashed potatoes, coconut cream pie, green beans w/ bacon and french onions, and most of all, honey baked ham. Yum! My mouth is watering....
But more than the food, I love the emphasis on gratitude. I have memories of large family gatherings, where everyone present, even the small child, took a turn expressing what they were most grateful for.
There is something magical about a holiday with such substance. Children learn so much more from this sort of activity than from knocking on doors asking for tricks or treats. (Not that I am anti-Halloween or anything. How could you not love all that chocolate?)
But Thanksgiving just feels so sentimental and perfectly family oriented.
A few goals I have for this November.
- Cook a turkey on my own. I have helped my mother a lot. But I have never actually done it single-handedly. There is always a first, right?
- Record something that I am grateful for every day. (This list will be on my private blog. Let me know if you need an invite.)
- Make a successful pecan pie. I tried this a few years ago, and it was quite runny. I am aiming for perfection this go-round.
- Tell those around me, specifically my husband, that I am grateful for them every chance I get.
- Take more time in my personal prayers to express gratitude.